Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Anyone else have thoughts?

I was walking to class today and I took my adderall, which I only take when I have to study, write a paper or take a test. Yes, I am prescribed. I should take it regularly but I don't, I don't like to be dependant on things or people for that matter. Anyway, I was thinking unusually hard (cause that's what adderall makes you do) and I started to think about how crazy it is that we can hop on Facebook and "stalk" someone we never have or ever will meet in the flesh and know all kinds of things about them. I am guilty myself. For example, I clearly love reading blogs so when I find someone on Facebook that has one, I automatically click it. This person maybe an acquaintance or even a stranger, but suddenly I can have a peak at the way this person thinks, they way they feel about life, what they are passionate about. It's usually all there. It blows my mind. I actually follow this girl's blog who lives in Oklahoma and I literally know everything about her life as if I had read a book about her. As if we were friends. I feel like I know her, but I don't. That is the point I am trying to make. She isn't a real friend.

Is this really how we want to function as a society? Do I want to know that my bestfriend from high school got engaged because it popped up on my mini feed? Would I be better friends with her, more willing to call her, or make time for her if I didn't keep up with her via Facebook, Twitter, Blogspot..? If all those things were gone, I would have to call her if I wanted to know how she was, I would have to see her in person to see her new hair cut and the 20 pounds she lost. It makes me wonder if all this "stuff" is doing us any good? I'm not an idiot, I do realize that it makes everything more convenient but have we let that become our crutch to getting in touch with people? I actually have family members that write on my wall on my birthday instead of calling. Call it "new age", but I call it crap. We have created our own little worlds and because we network it looks like we are way more engaged in life than we actually are. Engaged in life is not sitting in front of a computer, tv, ipad, laptop, itouch, iphone, blackberry, and all the other crazy gadgets that distract us from the life we think we are living.

Yes, I love blogging. Yes, I love Facebook, but I can't help but wonder if our generation is in a huge sink hole and we just don't realize it. We're sucked in with every new innovation and suddenly life without those things doesn't seem great or beautiful anymore. In fact, if you don't have those things you are actually considered unfortunate. What a lie, what a horrible lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment