Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Blank Graph Paper

The other night when I was sitting at dinner with my parents, I asked my dad what made him get the courage to quit his job that he's been doing ever since I can remember. He said,

"I like to make my yearly goals out on a piece of graph paper every year and this time I was staring at the paper but I couldn't seem to see anything I wrote, just all the different squares that make up the whole sheet. The more I looked at them, the more I realized if I were to color in a square for every day I actually lived since I've had this job, I'm not sure I could even fill up one sheet. That was the moment I got the courage."

I was not only enthralled with his boldness, it ignited something inside me. Not so much that I need to quit my job or anything else, but to question what I am doing with my time. How many days have I truly lived with the Lord's intentions in mind and not my own? How many days could I color for having done something for the kingdom and not myself? I'd be afraid to see the results.

My pastor spoke this past week and he said something to the extent of 'to awaken our holy spirit is to be alive, moving and doing for the cause of Christ.' If that is true than I have some work to do. I have some adjustments to make because a blank piece of graph paper says I'm merely existing. I was made for more than that. We all were.

No comments:

Post a Comment