Sunday, January 16, 2011

Gloom's Cure

I'm reading another Elisabeth Elliot book. Big surprise, I know. This one is called "Let Me Be a Woman." I just read a part where she discusses the cure to feeling lonely, depresseed, or just down on yourself. I have a hard time ever admitting feeling any of those things, but the truth is, sometimes when I've away from people for too long that is exactly how I feel. Elisabeth Elliot quotes Amy Carmichael when she says,

"If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. And the Lord will guide you continually, and satisfy your desire with good things, and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters fail not. And your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt; you shall raise up the foundations of many generations; you shall be called the repairer of the breach, the restorer of the streets, a path leading home."

Simply, I love that. I had to read it a few times but the more I did, the more it meant to me. To be someone's path leading "home" is far more rewarding than anything else I can think of doing for myself. The Lord is teaching me so much about what it means to serve and to truely love. Loving means not looking back but running forward and reaching out to those He places on your path along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment