Monday, December 6, 2010

"I don't break promises"-God

I heard a good friend speak on 1 Kings 18 a couple weeks ago. It's about Elijah and proving that God Almighty is the one true God over the false god Baal. In order to prove this Elijah has the people of Baal build an alter of wood on Mount Carmel. Then, Elijah does the same. Whichever God can light the alter on fire will prove true. He lets the people of Baal do whatever they need to do to get Baal to send fire. Nothing. When it is Elijah's turn, he orders that there be four large jars of water poured over the alter. Then, he orders that they do it three more times, soaking the alter completely before he calls on the Lord, who quickly sends fire which ignites the alter and soaks up the water from the ground up.

What is it about this story that I can't stop thinking about? The damp wood. Elijah soaked the wood before he asked God to send fire, but why? The logic behind it says Elijah knew and believed beyond a shadow of doubt that God was going to send fire to the alter whether it was dry or wet. So, by soaking the wood it proved that Elijah was willing to give up any type of control, advantage or doubt that God was going to do what He said He was going to do.

That speaks to me. Everyday since I heard this word I could just feel God saying,

"Kendall are you letting your life be damp wood?"

"Do you not trust me?"

"Are you still not willing to give me control?"

And my answer... "I know, but I'm so scared."

His reply?

"I don't break promises."

No comments:

Post a Comment